Wednesday 12 November 2008

Strictly Come Dancing Week 8 and Results

I'm late with this. It's been that sort of week.


I have a great respect for Austin for keeping his Mum's anniversary private, rather than, as usually happens, letting the entire public know in the week leading up to it. Not that I suspect people of deliberately trying to get sympathy votes, but, you know. It was a nice change. I didn't think his rumba was that bad, overall, although definately worse than his usual dancing.

I think it is probably time John left the competition. After six years the judges have yet to understand that the more they berate and ridicule a contestent the more the public will vote for them. (Something Brown could remember for the next election?) Mostly, you need to make their dance as unforgettable as possible. If I were a judge I'd have said something fairly bland, like "nice storytelling, weak on technique," in a faintly bored, next-dance-please voice.

I was shocked that Jodie wasn't in the bottom two - awful, awful samba. I liked Tom's dance, especially his leaping around, although I don't understand the general fuss about him. I mean, I don't normally understand when the female population of Great Britian goes a bit mental for one of the male contestants, but it is doubly so for Tom. (Although, did you hear Kate Garraway and her comment to Jason Donovan, "he's not meant to turn you on, he's meant to turn us on." Oh, fuck off with your hetronormative, ignorant attitude.)

Cherie was beautiful, and danced beautifully too. I was even won over by Lisa's dance, and even if she turned out to be a giddy slash fangirl. (Seriously, if she was on the internet, she'd be one of those people who typed all in lowercase and txt language and used six million exclamation points at the end of every sentence.)

I thought Heather's tango was her best dance, ditto for Christine and Matthew's brilliant jive. I though Rachel's dance was okay, but I find her performance completely boring. Apparently the rest of the UK agrees with me.


It Takes Two needs to stop with the insane VTs. Today we had the composite dancer, and the crazy marriage thing (I worried about Nicole, though probably she doesn't care) and yesterday instead of amusing training clips at the end, we got some poorly made song vid. Less of that!

6 comments:

Jane Henry said...

I think John probably needs to go too. But I can see why the public is still voting for him. He's so entertaining even when he's crap. But you're right it's time to go. I can't really see why Christine is still in (she gets my vote for most boring) and I was equally astonished that Jodie wasn't in the dance off. Terrible that Heather was, but I thought she was very gracious about it.

Marie said...

I've got to pick you up on your complaint about the heteronormative comment. To be fair, I missed the episode and the context. But as a heterosexual woman, I get completely fed up with every single time there is an image of a sexy, semi-clad man being told that it is "homoerotic". As if heterosexual women can't appreciate an attractive man or a sexy pose - no, if it's a man to be looked at, he must be being looked at by other men. Anyway, wasn't Jason Donovan straight last time I checked?

Alice said...

Marie, basically Jason said that he found Tom's face a turn-off (he didn't say so, but it was over clips of his Paso face, so I assume it's was that particular face he was refering too.) Kate immediately replied something along the lines off "he's not supposed to turn you on, he's supposed to turn us on" us being herself, Arlene and Claudia. It doesn't really matter whether Jason Donovan is straight/bi/gay/whatever, and his comment in and of itself wasn't really about Tom's attractiveness anyway, but Kate Garraway annoyed me with her assumption that of course Tom is suppose to turn women on, duh. Like she'd never considered otherwise. Perhaps she was simply reacting to Jason being straight, and I'm overreacting. But occasionally the media annoy me so much that is all spills over into anger over one tiny incident.

As for the homoerotic comments, I have noticed there is a tendancy to do that, especially in recent years, but for me, it still comes across as a joke. (Certainly some of the scantily clad men on Strictly this year have been pawed by Tess on behalf of women everywhere, apparently!) I'd agree that media does ignore women's sexuality, or ridicule it. The constant 'jokes' about Arlene are a good example. An older woman, who isn't afraid to say she's attracted to yonger, good-looking men? How hilarious!

(I hope this comment made sense. I haven't slept and I have to leave the house, or I would edit it some more.)

Marie said...

Comment made perfect sense, thank you, and in context I do see what you mean. As an aside I appreciate Jason Donovan making any comment as to Tom's attractiveness as another of my pet hates is when straight men claim to not be able to tell whether men are good looking or not. Because that would be gay.

Alice said...

I'm glad I made sense! I'm not sure I'm terribly coherent at the best of times anyway...

I too appreciated Jason Donavon's comments - and the same for Will Smith's 'mancrush' yesterday. Strictly seems to have relaxed alot in that sense - in fact ever since last year when Craig decided he wasn't going to hide the fact that he was attrached to men anymore. It's quite refreshing!

Alice said...

Jane Henry - John is certainly entertaining, but from now on he's going to be knocking out people who are real contenders for the finale, so yeah... enough is enough. In previous weeks I'd have agreed that Christine could go, but I liked her jive this week, so it was nice she stayed. I would quite like Jodie to go out oo (sorry, I know you like her!) but she is only getting by on her ballroom now. Heather was lovely and a shame she was in the bottom two so often.